The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has announced proposed changes to the Safety Measurement System (SMS) methodology used to prioritize motor carriers for Agency intervention.
The proposed changes include:
- Reorganized “BASICs”
- Reorganized roadside violations
- Simplified severity weights
- Improved intervention thresholds
- Proportionate percentiles
- Greater focus on recent violations
- Updated utilization factor
- New segmentation
- Accounting for not preventable crashes
The Agency is asking motor carriers and other stakeholders to preview how the new methodology impacts their prioritization results by logging in to the CSA Prioritization preview website.
Header Photo by Brian Stalter on Unsplash