You don’t need to master the art of meal planning to eat well during the week. It can be as simple as stocking your kitchen with mealtime building blocks. Consider keeping these nutritious pantry, fridge and freezer staples on hand to make healthy eating easy:
- Canned chickpeas can easily be added to soups or mashed with seasonings for extra protein and fiber.
- Chicken breast is a great protein to build a meal around. You could make pasta, soups, casseroles, sandwiches and more.
- Extra-firm tofu is full of plant-based protein and calcium. Its neutral flavor makes it great for stir-fries and curries.
- Quinoa or lentils are versatile options to round off meals. They are packed with fiber and protein.
- Whole-wheat spaghetti is a great last-minute meal idea. It has a sizable dose of fiber and helps reduce cholesterol.
- Frozen spinach can easily go in egg dishes, pasta or smoothies. It is packed with four times the nutrients of fresh spinach.
With these healthy basics on hand, you can toss together nutritious meals that require minimal effort.